Our Pastor
 Annual Events
 Contact Us
 Find Us

Bookmark to Pastors
Go to Pastors History Page
Church Buildings
Second Baptist Church was originally known as Calais Village Baptist Church. Calais Village Baptist Church was organized on December 29, 1841; and the first church building, shown here, was dedicated on October 24, 1844.
Before this building had been built, the church had met in the Goodnow’s Hall. By 1842, the congregation realized that a larger meeting place was necessary; therefore, construction began in 1843 on our first church building.
This church building was located on Point Street (now Main Street), on the side of the street that is nearest the river; the building was directly across from Monroe Street. The final cost of the new building was about $5,000.

The congregation continued to grow, and in 1848 the church decided to add 16 feet 6 inches to the width of the north side of the building.


During the early 1850s, the congregation grew rapidly, and the members began to search for larger quarters. In May 1855, they purchased a lot in the Sawyer Estate on Church Street. (Soon afterward, the old church on Point Street was sold to the Methodists.) On May 14, 1857, the congregation, now called Second Baptist Church, dedicated its new home on Church Street.

On October 22, 1882, during the ministry of Dr. Padelford, the meeting house on Church Street was destroyed by fire after being struck by lightning. Immediate plans were made to replace it.


On June 5, 1884, the new church was dedicated. The church was built at a cost of $18,000, and this included an elaborate tracker organ.

The building was completely renovated in 1929 while the church was searching for a new pastor.

While Elbert Paul was pastor, the parsonage had many repairs done, and a new oil furnace was installed there.

Dr. Bob Ginn undertook remodeling the church property and used $20,000 to good advantage for this project. The steeple had to be replaced as it had blown off in a storm.

The church celebrated its 150th anniversary on December 29, 1991. The theme of the celebration was “By God’s Grace – The First 150 Years,” and the celebration lasted five months.

During Chet Garrison’s pastorate, the church approved a restoration project for the sanctuary; this project was completed in 1996. In addition, the nursery was redone in a Noah’s Ark theme with a rainbow mural painted, “God’s Word is True.” The nursery was dedicated to Margaret Hinton and Ernest Chadbourne.

On September 16, 2001, after a Sunday evening service, Second Baptist Church was ablaze. While our church building was being rebuilt, the United Methodist Church allowed us to meet in their building; additionally, First Baptist Church in Milltown allowed us to hold our Easter and Christmas Eve services at their church. During this time, Albert Coffey stayed as our interim pastor for three years.

In  September 2003, construction began on the new church. The first service took place on April 25, 2004.


Longest Serving Pastors
Dr. Adoniram Judson Padelford was pastor for 31 years. His pastorate, which lasted from 1877 until 1908, is still the longest in the history of our church.
Rev. Donald Thompson was pastor for 14 years. On March 15, 1992, he was installed as Pastor Emeritus. He and his wife Lucy were an integral part of life at Second Baptist long after they retired.

Pastors of Second Baptist Church

Click on a name to view more information about a pastor.
Click here to view all of the information about our pastors.
Note: Interim pastors are denoted by the abbreviation "Int." and are shown in italics.
Elijah D. Very 1841 - 1844?
 Henry V. Dexter 1845? - 1854
E. C. Mitchell March 1854 - March 1856
A. F. Spaulding November 1856 - October 1860
Henry V. Dexter October 1860 - April 1869
E. B. Eddy December 1869 - July 1875
J. A. Freiday September 1875 - October 1876
 Dr. Adoniram Judson Padelford 1877 - 1908
John Cromwell Hughes September 1909 - September 1913
Thomas Jefferson Ramsdell 1913 - 1921
Wallace S. “Wally” Boardman May 1921 - January 1925
Roy M. Trafton May 1925 - March 1929
Elbert Paul July 1929 - December 1932
George W. Davis January 1932 - 1935
Ed Goodman August 1935 - September 1938
Ellis J. “Sam” Holt November 1938 - October 1942
Walter L. Cook October 1942 - November 1945
Raymond J. Bates March 1946 - January 1954
Paul Hazlett October 1954 - January 1959
Dr. Bob Ginn May 1959 - August 1964
Donald Thompson January 1965 - May 1979
James Wilce March 1980 - 1981
Walter Wakeman November 1981 - 1982?
Int.      Ron MacKecknie
Charles Reed May 1984 - August 1988
Int.      Peter Hill
Int.      Norman Towns
Int.      Bill Wilkinson
Dennis Burke February 1990 - December 1991
Int.      Rick Snell
Int.      Randy Wilbur
Int.      Ron MacKecknie
Chester “Chet” Garrison June 1993 - September 1999
Int.      Norman Brown
Int.      Roger Estey
Int.      Albert Q. “Al” Coffey January 2001 - October 2003
William H. Lee, III November 2003 - August 2004
Int.      Scott Connors
Int.      Ray Morse
Christopher George Stevens August 2005 - February 2009
Int.      David Beal
Matthew Burden February 2010 - Present

Back to top

or questions, concerns or suggestions about this Web site, please send e-mail to webmaster@calaisbaptist.com

Second Baptist Church | 21 Church St., Calais, ME  04619 | (207) 454-2579